Sunday, March 11, 2012

Lord, Teach Us To Pray


Lord, Teach Us To Pray is a very handy prayer book, designed to ground the Christian man, woman, and youth in a good variety of basic traditional prayers and devotions, such as daily prayers for morning and evening, table prayers, canticles, creeds, litanies, the Catechism, and more, all in decidedly traditional forms.  Is there still a place in the Church, and in your life, for the intersection of rich, evangelical substance with classic, mind-elevating form?  Give this resource a look, and see for yourself.  At the Lulu web page you can get a preview of the first several pages, which will show you the table of contents and preface. 

You will notice that the book can be purchased in three different forms:
Get one for yourself, and one for someone you love.

3 comments:

Rebekah said...

Reverend Deacon, would you forgive my ignorance and tell me a little about the Sacred Heart of Jesus? I have the common Lutheran received wisdom that that's some RC thing. And speaking of my ignorance, does the e-version work on Kindle? I know PDFs do but I don't trust myself to figure it out with the Adobe thing involved.

Dcn Latif Haki Gaba SSP said...

I confess to being less than knowledgeable about digital forms and their uses. I don't even own an e-reader yet; I'm in no way opposed to them, just haven't made that investment yet. I do see that technology growing and blossoming into a variety of forms these days, and I hope that means an increased capacity for an e-book to be read by a variety of e-readers. But I'm not sure. Caveat emptor.

Your other quesion, however, I'm glad to briefly address. While, on the one hand, there are several characteristically Roman Catholic devotions, some modern, some relatively modern, which have roots in the devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, a fair assessment of the matter shows, on the other hand, that the basic devotion itself, and its purest expressions, have an evangelical and catholic (in the best sense of these words) character and heart, with scriptural substance, and origins deep in the christic heart of medieval spirituality (dating arguably to the 12th century, or even earlier) and thus influential in the Reformer's own thought. Sorry for giving merely a one sentence answer; when I get time, I will address it more fully.

Rebekah said...

10-4. Thanks!