Thursday, September 8, 2011

an anniversary

It was on this day, the Feast of Mary's earthly birthday, that I started seminary classes.  It was a Monday that year.  I remember thinking about how fitting it was that my seminary formation would begin with a Marian theme.  I don't remember chapel that day, though I rather doubt that the Mother of God came up.  I didn't mind too much though.  I knew that I had embarked on an exciting new chapter in life.  And indeed, it was a great ride. 

The course of life changes.  But one thing remains the same: Theology rules, guides, and is the passion of my life.  Theology is not only the Queen of Sciences, it is the highest Art.  More than that, it is the only truly satisfying pursuit.  I think of it as life itself, life in its fullness.  And so, my time in the seminary was worth the while.  And whatever happens from here, I am grateful.  For like the obscure handmaiden who was called upon to be the God-bearer, my soul, and in Christ the whole of my life, magnifies the Lord, for He has regarded my low estate.  I don't see much strength in my own life, but the important thing is that the Lord has shown strength with His arm; He that is mighty has done to me great things, and holy is His name.  May I always know it, and tell it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am curious...did you complete your studies at Fort Wayne? What brought you to the deaconate? -Peter Sovitzky

Dcn Latif Haki Gaba SSP said...

As I begin to catch up on things here, I notice this comment from Mr. Peter Sovitzky. I have responded to him, via email. But I will say here that I did not complete the course of study I originally intended at Ft. Wayne.

The Lord brought me to the diaconate by way of an unusual set of circumstances. Which is fortuitous, since at present there is no such thing as a conventional way to the diaconate in the LC-MS, except of course, for those fake deacons who openly violate the Confessions, and give out a fraud Sacrament. The LC-MS apparatus, from the district offices to the seminaries, is content to mold itself to accomodate that type of diaconate. A genuine diaconate will not gain a foothold in our church until more pastors and parishes decide to gain an interest in the matter. From there, it will grow, and eventually, the synod will recognize it as a legitimate ministry.

If, however, we were to wait for Synod to tell us what is and what is not a valid ministry in the Church, then I would be forced to believe that the diaconate is not one, and that the Director of Christian Education is one.