Saturday, July 9, 2011

Jesus Is Just Alright

The other day my wife and I dropped into the Jimmy John's on Brady Street for a bite to eat, and we were treated to some Doobie Brothers being piped through the atmosphere:



On the one hand, it is good to hear funky music, and always a bit amazing when any positive mention of Jesus is turned up, rather than censored, in the jaded culture of Brady Street.

On the other hand, I must say that Arthur Reid Reynolds got it completely wrong.  Jesus is most definitely not just alright with me.  He is far more.  He is worthy of worship and praise which I can only begin to learn to give him in this life.  For He is the almighty God, Who created the universe, and Who became man to suffer and die to make atonement for my sin. 

It may very well be that the mode of expression employed by Reynolds, and the bands that have played this song, was a genuine effort to praise Christ Jesus in the only way they knew.  Yet it is not a mode that is worthy of being objectively admired and placed in the halls of musical immortality.

No comments: