Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Reading Ignatius

"I dust a bit," Ignatius told the policeman.  "In addition, I am at the moment writing a lengthy indictment against our century.  When my brain begins to reel from my literary labors, I make an occasional cheese dip."

I believe that it is good for a man to be sure to have some Ignatius in his ongoing reading regimen.  I must admit, however, that not all of my Ignatius reading is of exactly the same sort.  There is the great saint of the Apostolic age, with his indispensable letters.  There is the sixteenth century Spaniard, with his Spiritual Exercises.  Then, there is the brilliant literary creation of twentieth century New Orleanian John Kennedy Toole. 

I took a moment this morning, and flipped through a copy of A Confederacy of Dunces that somehow caught my attention on its shelf.  One of the times I read it, I must have been moved to do a lot of underlining.  And so my eyes finally rested upon the underlined passage I quote above.  It brought me a good laugh, so I though someone else might appreciate it as well. 

Toole's departure from this world was a tragedy, though I am gratified that he is still with us through the gift of his writing.

3 comments:

Dave said...

My pyloric valve!

Deacon Latif Haki Gaba, SSP said...

Nice, Dave!

Father Hollywood said...

Just yesterday, we were driving down St. Charles Avenue, which is lined by live oaks still bedecked by last year's Mardi Gras beads and green clackety streetcars languidly cruising the neutral ground.

We crossed Constantinople Street, and could not help but think fondly of the not-so-sainted Ignatius, the Crescent City's greatest antihero, hotdog vendor, revolutionary, expounder of the philosophy Boethius, and advocate of geometry and theology.