Friday, December 17, 2010

Cor meum conturbatum est in me, or Not all Albanians have the rhythm of John Belushi

Wednesday night after I came home from work, I sat down and noticed my heart was racing and out of rhythm.  This happens every so often for those with atrial fibrillation.  Not a big deal necessarily.  For me, it has been I think well over a year since the last episode.  And it persisted until Thursday morning.  Such an experience can cause a man concern.  Seeing that it hadn't gone away, I decided to call my cardiologist's office, and they wanted to get me in to see the good doctor, which I did that afternoon. 

He listened to my heart, chatted with me, had a woman extract some blood, and decided I should have an echo and a sleep study.  This was the first time a cardiologist has spoken to me about a sleep study, but he said that they are now seeing some connection between a-fib and sleep apnea.  It is possible that I have had this and simply have not noticed, so we shall see.

Unfortunately, the experience meant a day out of work.  In the end, however, it was probably worth it. 

Earlier today I had the pleasure of an all too brief chat with a good friend, who reminded me that not all Albanians lack rhythm.  How true!    Alas, my troubles can only be blamed on myself.  And I thank God for them, for Christ the crucified suffers with me.  Or as the Psalm says, It is good for me that I have been in trouble, that I may learn Thy statutes.

2 comments:

Father Hollywood said...

Considering the toy offered in Taco Bell's version of a "happy meal" I was wondering if the diaconal heart sounds like "Yo Gabba Gabba."

Glad you are doing better. You are in my fervent prayers.

Deacon Latif Haki Gaba, SSP said...

I think I want to make a run for the border.