Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Navigating Brew City on a Bicycle

This week I am using a bicycle, on loan from my brother.  I have not owned, or probably used, a bike for a number of years, and I am woefully out of shape.  So I don't look like Lance Armstrong out there (it is not uncommon for bicyclers to pass me by on the street, especially when I'm on a block that goes uphill), but I am really enjoying it.  It is a great way to get around the city.  And of course there is the matter of the bus fare I save, hardly an inconsequential factor for me these days.  I've got to get one of these things.  It won't help much in a snowstorm, of course, or for that matter in a hundred year rainstorm like we had a week or so ago, but I think I wouldn't mind getting around the city on bike for much of the year.

On Sunday I rode the bicycle to Saint Stephen's (my wife is visiting family for a few days).  I was hardly the only one bicycling Downtown and on the East Side on a Sunday morning, but what is unusual is to see a guy riding a Huffy Magellan wearing black slacks, black long sleeve clerical shirt, a round clerical collar, and a beret.  It took me a little over a half hour to get from my place in Riverwest to the church down in Walker's Point.  By the time I got to Third Ward I was very thirsty, and so I stopped at the Alterra in Walker's Point, bought a bottle of water, smelled the coffee, smelled the brownies, and then left.  By the time I got to the church I had more perspiration than is becoming for a deacon.  It didn't bother anyone, though, since unfortunately attendance was so low. 

As I was biking back home after Mass, I decided to take a break when I got to the East Town area, and get a coffee at the coffeehouse at the WELS church across from the old Blatz Brewery, Grace Church.  Yes, there is a WELS church with a coffeehouse.  But my experience at Grace deserves its own blog post. 

Since then I've been using the bike both when I need to get from place to place, and for leisure.  Last night, for example, I rode to the UWM campus, and then to the Lakefront.  Thanks, Daut.  I could get used to this.

8 comments:

mipackerfan said...

You could bike to our house for supper some night!

Deacon Latif Haki Gaba, SSP said...

Maybe I'll take you up on that.

mipackerfan said...

If you bike here Wednesday and/or Friday, and we'll take you and the bike home. Let us know!

Oliver said...

Your not looking like Lance Armstrong made me laugh!

Deacon Latif Haki Gaba, SSP said...

"If you bike here Wednesday and/or Friday, and we'll take you and the bike home. Let us know!"

Okay, let's make it Friday.

Oliver: Indeed, there are a lot of things I am not. And Lance Armstrong is one of them.

Rev. Shane R. Cota said...

Alright, I'm waiting. I want you to dish on the WELS coffeehouse!

Deacon Latif Haki Gaba, SSP said...

Thanks for reminding me, Father Cota. I'll get to that maybe later today.

Brian P Westgate said...

I'd forgotten that Grace has a coffeeshop. It's relatively new. That church is very beautiful, and I always enjoyed Pastor Huebner's preaching (though I didn't get to hear him much).