Saturday, June 5, 2010

two rare opportunities this weekend

I should like to remind anyone who might be moved by such a reminder that this weekend is the last chance to take advantage of two rare exhibits in Milwaukee.  One is The Woman with the Veil, by Raphael, which the Milwaukee Art Museum has on loan from the Pitti Palace in Florence.  The exhibit opened on 27 March, and it ends on 6 June.  I have seen the painting several times now; it's really an amazing experience.  I doubt I will ever get to Italy, so it's a wonderful blessing to have a bit of the Renaissance right here.

The second is the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit at the Milwaukee Public Museum.  This rare exhibit opened on 22 January, and closes on 6 June.  I regret that I have not made it to see this exhibit.  Don't get me wrong.  You might infer from the evidence of this blog post that I am less interested in theological matters than in art.  What really explains the situation is that we have membership with the MAM, which means that I don't have to pay each time I go to the Art Museum.  It's really a great blessing.  The Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit, on the other hand, costs $26 to get in each time, last time I checked.  So it's unlikely I will see it, but it has renewed my interest studying the subject matter, and I am happy to promote the exhibit to anyone who might be able to take advantage of it. 

So I repeat, this is the last weekend, for both of these exhibits, the one at MAM, and the other at the Milwaukee Public Museum.  If you're in the area, check them out.

No comments: