Thursday, June 24, 2010

Frozen Custard and Animal Attraction

Friday night, our friends Mike and Amy Green treated us to frozen custard.  They didn't want to leave town without having tasted some genuine Milwaukee frozen custard, and who am I to argue?  So we enjoyed a scoop or two over at Kopp's.  Delicious as always, of course I had a scoop of chocolate.  For those unfamiliar with Kopp's, and frozen custard stands of that sort, you will often see the daily special for each day printed out on a sheet or pamphlet for the whole month.  On the back of the monthly menu at Kopp's is the story of Bob, the dog.  It's quite a story.  You may read it at the Kopp's web site here.  Go ahead and take a moment.  If you love animals, and who doesn't?, then I think you'll appreciate it.

And that reminds me of another animal story.  At Saint Stephen's last Thursday or Friday morning, my pastor, Father May, showed us an alley cat, most likely feral, which was protecting her newborn kittens down in one of the window wells of the church.  Somehow she got in there.  I call her Fran.  One of the things we were worried about was if she would be able to get out okay, and get her kittens out.  On that count I can say that there is nothing to worry about, for on Sunday morning, before I went in to get ready for the liturgy, I checked that window well, and I saw Fran was there, but then leaped right out, and trotted down the street.  I did not see her babies, but I suppose that she got them somewhere safe.  She and her kittens have been and remain in our prayers.

5 comments:

Rev. David M. Juhl said...

Last Wednesday, Becky and I had some Cookies and Cream frozen custard at Oscar's in Waukesha. Becky prefers Oscar's over Kopp's, just as she prefers Klement's Brats over any other brand, especially Johnsonville. Usinger's sausage is not bad, but you need to work on your knife skills, as your wife's video clearly shows.

Deacon Latif Haki Gaba, SSP said...

There's a certain quality to my method. That quality might be danger, but it's a quality nonetheless.

I like Oscar's, along with a dozen other places in the city, but overall my favorite is probably Kopp's.

Deacon Latif Haki Gaba, SSP said...

Pardon me, everyone, but I think that when you get to the Kopp's web site, you have to click on "all about Bob" to see his story.

Rev. Luke T. Zimmerman said...

Dcn. Gaba:

Ah, yes, the joy of Kopp's frozen custard. Some things just aren't available out East.

I was able to share the Kopp's experience with a group of Pennsylvanians last summer at our English District Convention. Other than seeing classmates and friends, it was the best part of that Convention Week!

Deacon Latif Haki Gaba, SSP said...

Fr. Zimmerman:
I hope your convention was at least more enjoyable than the one I attended in Mequon last year. Liturgically and bureaucratically, it was a sight to behold, but I think I would have gotten more out of an afternoon at Kopp's.