Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A Prayer of Saint Augustine

Lord Jesus, grant me to know myself, and to know Thee,
and to desire nothing except Thee only.
Grant that I may hate myself, and love Thee.
Grant that I may humble myself, and exalt Thee.
Grant that I may think nothing except Thee.
Grant that I may die to myself, and live in Thee.
Grant that I may accept whatever happens as from Thee.
Grant that I may banish myself and follow Thee,
and ever desire to follow Thee.
Grant that I may fly from myself and take refuge in Thee.
Grant that I may fear for myself, and that I may fear Thee,
and let me be amongst those chosen by Thee.
Grant that I may be willing to obey for Thy sake.
Grant that I may cling to nothing, except to Thee only,
and grant that I may be poor because of Thee.
Look upon me, that I may love Thee.
Call me, that I may see Thee,
and forever enjoy Thee. Amen.

No comments: