Friday, January 8, 2010

Importance of January 7

The 7th Day of January is, as has become known on Facebook, the day on which I was born (the same year in which the Milwaukee Bucks won the NBA Championship, and the Slovak Lutherans joined the Missouri Synod as the SELC at the Milwaukee Convention).

To you Baby Boomers, I suppose it is the Vigil of the Nativity of Elvis Presley, who was born on 8 January (the same year the U.S. began providing socialized retirement income for seniors with the Social Security Act).

More importantly, I suggest, is that the 7th day of the new year is the second day within the Church's eight day celebration of our Lord's Epiphany.

Also of great interest to Christians everywhere ought to be the fact that on this day the Coptic Church, following the Coptic Calendar, celebrates the Feast of the Nativity of our Lord. Coptic Christmas is not always on 7 January. It shifts slightly over time. However, for the next several decades it will be on this day. Happy and blessed Christmas, then, to our Coptic brethren.

8 comments:

Father Robert Lyons said...

As I recall, Deacon Gaba, it is also Armenian Christmas...

Either way, a Blessed Nativity to those celebrating, and a blessed birthday (albeit belated) to you.

Rob+

PS - Did you get my message on Facebook?

Deacon Latif Haki Gaba, SSP said...

That's good to know.

Thanks for the note.

And yes, I got your message, and sent off a brief reply this morning.

Past Elder said...

Happy belated birthday Deacon!

All the "snow days" have made a mess of my routine.

Did you read the sad story of the ambush on a Coptic congregation at their Christmas?

Deacon Latif Haki Gaba, SSP said...

Yes, and unfortunately it is hardly the first instance of Islamist violence against the Coptic Christians. The Copts, under the leadership of Pope Shenouda III, are in a tense situation, and in need of our prayers.

Tim said...

OH MY GOSH! I forgot to mention you a happy birthday!

Well, happy belated birthday! God's blessings, and many years!

Deacon Latif Haki Gaba, SSP said...

thanks, Tim.

Dcn. Muehlenbruch said...

Salve frater deaconus in feste nativatis tuis. Pax et gaudiam in Christo Deo noster.

I must be getting old; because in taking notice of you natal day, I came to the realization that on January 3rd (liturgically speaking) I celebrated the 40th anniversary of my ordination as Deacon. The calendar date is actually January 4th, in 1970 that was the Sunday before the Epiphany.

My prayer for you is God grant you many years.

Deacon Latif Haki Gaba, SSP said...

Thank you Deacon. Believe it or not, on the 4th I thought of you because I knew it was the calendar date of your ordination. (You told me a few years back.) I know that's less important than where your ordination fell in the liturgical year, but it made me think of you anyway.