Sunday, January 3, 2010

Embarrassment in the Modern World

What happened to embarrassment? It has been the victim of an all out assault by the Feminist Movement, not only in the culture generally, but also in the educational system of our nation. For example, the sex education curriculum has, for a good couple decades now, been striving to obliterate natural and healthy embarrassment, by exposing our young people to facts and images from which they ought to be protected. Sex ed. teachers can even be found explicitly telling our young students, in fact, that "there is nothing to be embarrassed about."

This is one of the deep problems with the thinking of our modern Western culture. And it is a mode of thinking that needs to be taken on with all our resources.

Another thought worth pointing out, though, is that there is an irony at work in this attack on embarrassment. Namely, while our children, especially our girls, are taught in so many ways that they must not be embarrassed about sex, all for the sake of healthy enlightenment, embarrassment has not really been removed; rather, it has been moved. It has been taken from where it should be to places where it is unnatural and nonsensical.

For example, one is embarrassed to utter the word "nigger" today, no matter for what use, or in what context. Even, for example, in a blog discussion or a radio discussion on this very topic, the proper thing, in today's thinking, would be for a writer to write, "the 'N' word," instead of "nigger." What is the fate of great literature in this climate? Are children taught Mark Twain anymore? I don't know, but it makes me wonder. Such semantic idiocy, amounts not to a real fight against bigotry and racism, but a culturally and intellectually retarded generation.

The modern secularistic world is incapable of advising us on those things about which we really ought to be embarrassed. Here the Church can and ought to be an example, and teach true modesty in those areas of life where it is healthy and appropriate, and teach boldness and exploration in those areas of life where this is healthy and appropriate, according to one's vocation. This can happen in the pulpit, and in the home. In fact, it must, if we are to counteract what is happening in the classroom, and in the entertainment industry.

3 comments:

Tim said...

Good points, and good way to open discussion on this topic. I look foward to the talk that will likely insue.

Deacon Latif Haki Gaba, SSP said...

Tim:
It's been my experience that it's hard to predict what will set off a good discussion. Sometimes people respond, and sometimes they are too busy at the time with their daily life, or with another discussion, or whatever. I also regretfully admit that the demands of my own daily life sometimes mean that I cannot always guarantee my own participation, even in discussions that I myself begin. (If I had more time, eg., I would have posted a fuller and comprehensive post on this topic.)

I write for several reasons, only one of which is that sometimes it provokes good conversations. But I can guarantee you this, Tim. I myself will continue to write on subjects such as this. Just stay tuned.

Tim said...

Just so you know, I am in know way trying to pressure anyone into conversation. I apologize if I came across as such.

And worry not- even if no one responnds, the fact that you posted the topic counts!

I will stayed tuned, Bro. Gaba. Take care, and blessings on you and yours.