Saturday, December 5, 2009

winter in the city

The first time it hit me that winter has arrived, meteorologically if not astronomically, was Thursday at about mid-day. I had an appointment in the morning at the Milwaukee Heart Institute for a test. Which is the one where they rub jelly on your chest and then take images of the heart? Echocardiogram? Haven't had one in a while, and my new cardiologist wants to give me a fresh assessment. Anyway, I left the house in a hurry that morning, and forgot to eat breakfast, or even pack a lunch, so by the time I got out of the clinic, which is on 12th Street, over in the Marquette neighborhood, I was ready for something to eat. And as I made my way down the Avenue, I saw a deli on Plankinton St., in fact this deli is right in the grand old John Plankinton building, on the first floor, with a nice view of the street. So I dropped in there, for a ham & swiss on wheat. I find a seat, take my hat & scarf off, set my shoulder bag down, get ready to do some reading, or take some notes down, when all of a sudden, the view through the window hits me. It has been snowing. Not much. But there is snow in the air, and it is just such a beautiful and striking scene. Here I am, with all the others hustling around from place to place, and I can think of no better place to be than Milwaukee in the winter. The customary decorations are already up in many of the city's neighborhoods, each a little different. Wisconsin Avenue, for example, has a big blue star in the middle of each intersection, and lights on many of the poles and trees. I can even put up with some of the lame seasonal pop music that is so ubiquitous. Now, I just look forward to the ice rink opening up at Red Arrow Park.

3 comments:

gemutlichkeit said...

thanks for sharing - I love Milwaukee winters - looking forward to skating at Red Arrow.

Deacon Latif Haki Gaba, SSP said...

I don't know how much you can get away for Christmas, Michael, but for the second year in a row we will have Midnight Mass to kick off the Christmas Octave. This year it looks like we will even have an organist for the occasion, so it will be a sung mass.

gemutlichkeit said...

That would be great! I will be back that evening - thanks for the heads up on that - will certainly plan on it.