Wednesday, September 9, 2009

psalter finally published

It has been a particularly hard & frustrating summer for me. Not because my job is hard, but because it has been so hard getting myself used to third shift, and sleeping during the day, that I am usually not left with much time or strength to accomplish much at my desk. Well, a couple weeks ago, I decided to try to make a special effort to finish the revisions on my book of psalms, and I can now report that it is complete, and satisfies the publishing specifications of the publisher.

I consider it noteworthy that I completed the project yesterday, on the feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, since that feast is the anniversary of the day I started seminary in 2003.

Anyway, a little info on the book. It is the book of Psalms, in English and Latin, side by side, facing pages. Both texts are what I would call classic versions, the English is that of the great early English Lutheran, Miles Coverdale, and the Latin is the immortal Gallican Psalter.

I will have more to say on these texts, but for now wanted to just share the good news. You can actually find the book now at Lulu.com, but I would ask that anyone interested in it please refrain from buying it for a few days, because my copy will arrive at my door within two days, and I want to check it for any major problems. (One main question I have is whether I properly "embedded the fonts." If so, then I'm pretty sure it will be ready for use.) After that, trust me, I will not hesitate to inform this audience.

I am happy to have this project out for a couple reasons. One is that I know it will be a good resource for students, especially those in high school and older, and even for grade schoolers in classically oriented schools, or homeschoolers who are learning Latin. I am quite certain it will also be of value to seminarians, and others in the church. A revival of Latin in the church will bear good fruit, and I am glad to be a small part of it. Even in terms of English texts, I am very happy to do all I can to promote good traditional texts, such as the Coverdale Psalms, which will not only dignify worship, and elevate the mind, but will also give us a healthy sense of tradition, which in the end will bear theological and pastoral fruit.

The other reason I am glad to have this one out the door is that it has been a learning experience to go through the whole publication process, and an accomplishment which will help propel me to get going with other projects. God willing, we will see several other items out in the next year, resources that are designed for the good of the Church.

You can find preliminary data on the book here.

By the way, the book is being made available in two ways: softcover, and digital download. I can see many benefits to the download. The more actual copies you purchase, however, the more you will help support not only an obscure Albanian who doesn't deserve it, but also and more importantly, the future work of the Society of Saint Polycarp. Also, for the record, I am aiming to eventually publish material like this in a better quality format, and since one of the benefits of Lulu is that it lets me retain the rights to my work, I will have the freedom do do just that at some point.

10 comments:

Fraser Pearce said...

I like you work.

I dare say page 9 should have 'even after a portion...'

Interested to see how this turns out.

Father Robert Lyons said...

Latif,

As a Lulu user for formal ecclesiastical materials, I am very pleased with the work they do. I can also tell you from experience that what you see in the preview is, in fact, what shows up at your door.

Our Diocese just finished it's interim Book of Common Prayer, and we published through Lulu. Everyone has been pleased thus far.

I seem to recall you having compiled a similar project back when you were at Ft. Wayne... coil bound and all. Glad to see it is still alive and kickin' into version 2.0!

Rob+

Deacon Latif Haki Gaba, SSP said...

That's a nice catch, Fraser. Thank you.

Deacon Latif Haki Gaba, SSP said...

Fr. Rob,

If that's true, that the preview is an accurate image of the font, then I must not have successfully embedded the font, even though I thought I followed the instructions I found for this procedure. I will have to look into this. Thanks.

Father Robert Lyons said...

Latif,

I was going to use the LSB symbol font at one point, together with some more stylish fonts when I worked on the BCP. In the end, it tanked. Had to reformat the entire thing in Times New Roman.

I've never gotten a product from Lulu that didn't look like the Preview on their site.

Rob+

PS - We really need to chat sometime soon (even if just by e-mail). Drop me a line when you get a chance.

Deacon Latif Haki Gaba, SSP said...

Fr. Rob,
I may indeed have to just convert all my fonts to those few that Lulu recognized, like Times New Roman. But I've been experimenting today, and trying to figure this out. I've finally figured out how to create a pdf, by which I can embed my fonts. But when I did so, the pdf ended up with a page size of 8.5 X 11, instead of the 6 X 9 that I wanted. If anyone knows how to change the page size of a pdf, please help.

Father Robert Lyons said...

Just an FYI - Lulu will let you upload an MS Word file to make a print ready file. Of course, you can't embed fonts, but as long as you use fonts Lulu recognizes, it's OK.

Father Robert Lyons said...

Follow... this means I don't PDF anymore. I upload a MS Word document. I let Lulu PDF it for me, and I download the Print Ready Copy, which is Adobe Acrobat compliant.

Deacon Latif Haki Gaba, SSP said...

Rob,
That's just what I have done. And it works just fine, of course. I do hope eventually, however, as I say, to learn to use PDFs, because that will give me a bit more freedom, fontwise.
By the way, I'm going to have to look for your material on Lulu.

Father Robert Lyons said...

Latif,

You can see our Synod's new BCP at:
http://www.resynod.org/worship/

Just click on the link.

Rob+