Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Easter Pinata

Saint Stephen's is surely the first parish with which I have been associated where the Easter festivities include a pinata smashing. After Mass on Easter Sunday someone came to the sacristy and informed me (it was probably Miss Sarah, the pastor's daughter) that next door in the school building there was cake and a pinata. So I went over to check out the situation. The home made pinata was filled with candy, so I was interested right away, although I was too old to take a wack at the pinata, or so I am told. Below enjoy these photos of the event. As you can see, the pinata was made with several horns around it, and in the final photo, Sarah and I are each wearing one of the horns as a hat. For a brief time Easter afternoon I traded my beret for a pinata horn. I guess the lesson here is that Albanians are easily talked into things by children.

4 comments:

Father Robert Lyons said...

Latif,

I'm not sure... on the one hand, you look absolutely adorable in that pinata horn... on the other, you look like a bit of a damsel in distress.

All kidding aside, it appears that a joyous Pascha was had by all!

Christ is risen!

Rob+

Latif Haki Gaba, SSP said...

Very good to hear from you, Fr. Rob. You are one of the few things I miss about Indiana. I moved fairly quickly laft autumn, and by God's grace survived my first winter back here. (I don't mean to imply that I'm not used to the cold; rather, it's been a hard winter financially since I don't have the most lucrative job in the world.) You and I will have to reconnect, though. We'll be in touch.

gnesio-lutheran said...

"you look like a bit of a damsel in distress."

I rather think the young maiden is the damsel in ditress, and Mr. Gaba the magical unicorn come to rescue her....

Michael said...

Have you abandoned your blog?
Hope not. You have far too many good things to say.