Friday, December 12, 2008

Notes on the Week

The bookshop was robbed twice in the past week, Saturday evening, and then Tuesday afternoon. No one was hurt. In fact, I just missed being there when it happened both times. I had just left for the day on Saturday, when someone came in and robbed the drawer. And on Tuesday, when I came in I was given the day off. I was grateful because I took it as an opportunity to make it to my nephew Cyrus' basketball game that afternoon, and to get some errands done. I then learned, however, that Cyrus' game was cancelled because of the snow, proving that you never quite know what life is going to bring. Anyway, not long after I left the bookshop a man came in with a gun, and robbed the store.

I suppose that in one sense these incidents might seem alarming. On the other hand, I think they show that in the midst of trouble, Christ, our God and Lord, is keeping me safe. He is the Angel of the Lord Who goes before me, prepares the way, and fights for me. He does so in bigger, much more important, and real, ways than these little incidents. He tramples Satan under foot, by His Passion and death, procuring for me the forgiveness of my sins. And He, the God of peace, bruises Satan under my feet, for His life of suffering, sacrificial death, and resurrection, is my wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption, and life. But indeed He also protects and defends me in these crass moments that seem at the time like they are so important.

The men who committed these crimes this week are in need of our prayer, that they will be given repentance, forgiveness, healing, and new life. The reason I know God can accomplish such things for them is that He has done all these things for me. So let us never give up hope for the world around us.

Here's a story you might find amusing. On Sunday evening I went over to Pizza Shuttle on Farwell Avenue for some carry out. I parked in the parking structure, in a narrow space, with a car to my right, and a metal pole just inches to my left. But with the Ford Focus I got in there just fine. Well, after I got my pie, I headed out to the car, got in, started the engine, thinking of that tasty pizza. I turn my head to the right, to see out the back as I back out, totally forgetting that there is a pole right next to me on the left. I start to back out, and I hear a crash. I look and see that I just destroyed my driver side mirror. I'm not sure if it was more a Cosmo Kramer moment or a Chris Farley moment, or maybe just a Latif moment. The new mirror came in today, and it took the Ford guys about an hour to install it.

Wednesday evening after Advent Vespers we had our first session of our new Spiritual Book Club at church. We are kicking things off with some Athanasius. I will have more to say about this exciting endeavor later.

All in all, it has been an interesting week. Tomorrow it's Mass, then work, then preparations for my brother's birthday party.

2 comments:

Rev. Shane R. Cota, SSP said...

So, are you reading "On the Incarnation" for Advent/Christmas in the book club? That would be a fitting choice.

Latif Haki Gaba, SSP said...

Yes, though it will takes us past Christmas. And we began with C.S. Lewis' excellent introduction.