Thursday, August 21, 2008

Library Thing

My wife has tried for years to get me to catalogue my library. She actually got me to agree at one point a few years ago to do it. She found some sort of software, which required me to enter all the pertinent data for each book. Over time I had succeeded in getting much of the library catalogued. That, however, was before the fire, which both destroyed the catalogue, and radically altered the size of the library. I still have a long way to go toward rebuilding certain aspects of my collection, but at least it has once again become delightfully sizable enough to really require organization. Nevertheless, I put it off.

Until recently. Ruth talked me into using an online cataloguing service, called Library Thing. I highly recommend this to anyone who would like an easy to use, reasonably priced system, which brings with it all sorts of literary networking possibilities. What do I mean by easy to use? If you simply enter the International Standard Book Number (ISBN), or the title, or the author, or the Library of Congress Number, the full record for your book will usually pop right up. You just click the right book, and it gets placed in your library. You can then add certain elements to your record, like tags, and reviews, etc., which I have only partially got into so far. Over all, it's the best, and easiest system I have even seen. There is a $25 one time fee for lifetime membership.

Library Thing would be an excellent way to go for individuals, or parish libraries, or schools, or whatever. If you look in the search feature, you can find libraries of all sorts and sizes. I found the library for Zion Lutheran Academy of Zion, Fort Wayne. (You can even find my library now.)

I am very pleased with this cataloguing system, and, again, I recommend anyone check it out, which you can do here.

8 comments:

Fr. Gregory Hogg said...

Thanks, Latif! I use one called Readerware, which does the same basic thing.

Fr. Gregory Hogg said...

Speaking of books, I've got a nearly complete set of Luther's Works, American Edition (missing vols. 26,27, 47 and 54) for $500. If you know of a student or someone else who's interested, please let me know.

Latif Haki Gaba, SSP said...

Thanks for the notes, Fr. Hogg. I myself would love your set of LW, but it is out of my league. If I hear or think of someone who would be interested, I will direct him your way. Maybe someone who reads these comments will be interested. Thanks again.

Bryce P Wandrey said...

Thanks for the heads up Latif. I am going to do this!

Latif Haki Gaba, SSP said...

No problem, Fr. Bryce.

Bryce P Wandrey said...

Fr Hogg, I am sorely tempted by your set of LW. Would you mind emailing me about more details? My address can be found on my blogger profile.

Bryce P Wandrey said...

Latif, The Library Thing is great. It actually puts my books in LCC order, which I tried to do myself for a long time but got frustrated. Now all I have to do is read the list off the computer.

I know, I know...I am way too excited about this. But my mother is a librarian and I worked in the CTS library for 2 years, it is in my blood.

Latif Haki Gaba, SSP said...

Fr. Bryce,
You can imagine my wife's happiness that our home library is finally catalogued. She has spent the last decade working for Walther Library, and has had to come home and look at my mess.