Thursday, August 14, 2008

Happy Anniversary

The pain in my shoulder and arm has kept me from writing for, I suppose, at least a fortnight. I shouldn't be doing this right now. I am now seeing a chiropractor twice per week, and she thinks this problem should be substantially behind me in about a month. My sin merits this pain, and then some, so I cannot complain; what frustrates me the most is the profound unproductivity this situation has imposed upon me. The list of topics on which I need to catch up here at the blog and elsewhere grows. It has also kept me from subdiaconal duties at church. Please pray, brethren, that this may indeed pass from me soon, and that I may grow in patience and in contentment with God's will.

But why do I write today? Because this, the vigil of the feast of the Dormition of the most holy Mother of God, is also the fourteenth anniversary of my marriage. Ruth and I were wed on this day in 1994. So much has happened in that time. A full five sevenths of it has been spent in Fort Wayne. Sad but true.

One of the thoughts that I come to when I think of my life ten or twelve or fourteen years ago, is that while in many ways we were so much happier in Milwaukee than here, in other ways I was so much less able to appreciate my marriage in those early days than I am now. There is so much you don't see clearly in the first several years of marriage. In each stage of life in this world God uniquely blesses us. The modern world which values only short term relationships misses out on the hidden ways love can open up and bloom over time. And by the way, I don't mean to sound like an old pro, because if God were to prolong our time in this world, we have a long way to catch up with couples that have been together for decades upon decades, like my parents in law, who on the 18th will celebrate their 45th anniversary. I know some who have seen their 60th, etc.

Mrs. Gaba, happy anniversary. We shall see what the fifteenth year, and the next fourteen bring us. Whatever it is, I couldn't have a better companion with whom to see it. I'm sure it will involve a lot of success and prosperity from both a worldly and ecclesiastical point of view. For those who don't get sarcasm, to be clear, I'm not really one for success, which points to one of the miracles of this marriage, that Ruth puts up with me. Like the Ever-Virgin Mary, Ruth takes what is given to her, what happens to her, as gifts, whether or not they always seem like gifts at the time, and ponders them in her heart. She can also be counted on for an opinion of what she sees, but all analogies must end somewhere.

4 comments:

Father Hollywood said...

A happy and blessed anniversary to you, Latif and Ruth!

What you say is true, as the gift of marriage keeps giving. My wife and I have also been married for 14 years. And I likewise laud my wife for her saintly patience and graciousness.

You are in my prayers, and I do hope you find relief for your shoulder pain. I'm sure you're bombarded by advice, and I'm sure your chiropractor has mentioned this - but sleep position is very important. I was suffering terrible shoulder pain due to almost gymnastic contortions (which goes with having a bed full of furry friends, I suppose). I found sleeping on my back helps a great deal.

I do hope you are able to celebrate this great day, or at least get a rain check.

Rosko said...

Happy Anniversary to Latif and Ruth, and may God grant you many more years to come!

-Harry

Joe Greene said...

1994 was a good one as Mrs. Greene and I were also wed in March of that year. Best to both of you.

Latif Haki Gaba, SSP said...

Thank you, gentlemen, for the comments. I guess three fourths of the brothers in attendance at the retreat this year all entered married life within months of each other fourteen years ago. Very cool.