Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Josh McDowell teaching your children

I assure you that I do not report on such stories out of pleasure, but out of disappointment. Josh McDowell, as many readers know, is a well known Evangelical apologist. As such, there is no place in his theology for little things like Baptismal regeneration, or the true, substantial presence of Christ's Body & Blood in the Sacrament of the Altar. Whatever he may have to say that is true in its own right, what the above tells me is that he does not know Christ aright. He does not know Him when He sees Him, where He told us He would be. To put it another way, Josh McDowell, though he says many things that are true, has distorted beliefs about God, Christ, and His Word.

Why do I point this out? Because McDowell is on a speaking tour right now, holding seminars for high school children. Here is a quote from McDowell used in the publicity material for this seminar:

"Our churched young people are adopting distorted beliefs about God, Christ and his Word. And these distorted beliefs are directly attributing to our kids making wrong moral choices."

Hold on, here's the good part, he will be delivering this talk at Concordia Lutheran High School, Fort Wayne, IN, on 11 September of this year. I can see having McDowell speak at a theological symposium, or at a writers conference, but I cannot conceive of how it is good, right, and responsible to have him come in and teach our Lutheran children, at a Lutheran high school.

I also find it interesting that the advertisements for this event list as sponsors, not only a couple of Protestant radio stations, which is to be expected, but also such trustworthy institutions as Thrivent and Concordia Theological Seminary. What can I say, but, way to go, Lutherans.

4 comments:

Presbytera said...

THere is nothing that makes Thrivent a trustworthy institution -- certainly not the part of the name that says Thrivent for Lutherans.

My husband was appalled that they had an evangelical speak at a preaching workshop for seminarians and others at the St Louis Sem. Hard to believe that someone who doesn't get law/Gospel and Word/Sacrament right could possible be helpful to a Lutheran preacher/

Latif Haki Gaba, SSP said...

Dear presbytera,
I will not confirm or deny that it is the case in this instance, but I just advise you that, as those who know me would tell you, there are instances where I have been known to employ the services of sarcasm.

Pastor Olson said...

On the other hand it is without sarcasm and with sincere sadness and regret that ctsfw is sponsoring such shananigans.

Latif Haki Gaba, SSP said...

Pastor Olson,
You're right. Almost everything about this story, as far as I've seen, is sad. That's why it must be reported, even by a flunky like me. If I am available, and am able to get in, I would like to actually attend this event. Indeed, that will be the best way to assess it.