Wednesday, June 27, 2007

quote on the Blessed Eucharist

I refuse, out of principle, to comment today on Saint Cyril of Alexandria. Instead, I offer a passage from Saint John, the Golden Mouth. At the moment I cannot tell you where in Chrysostom this can be found, for I found it undocumented (sort of like so many of the dishwashers and prep cooks I have worked with in the restaurant business). The source does seem trustworthy to me, but even if you don't wish to trust it, then just ponder the words, no matter who said them:

"You envy the opportunity of the woman who touched the vestments of Jesus, of the sinful woman who washed his feet with her tears, of the women of Galilee who had the happiness of following him in his pilgrimages, of the Apostles and disciples who conversed with him familiarly, of the people of the time who listened to the words of grace and salvation which came froth from his lips. You call happy those who saw him...But, come to the altar and you will see him, you will touch him, you will give to him holy kisses, you will wash him with your tears, you will carry him within you like Mary Most Holy."

5 comments:

Father Robert Lyons said...

Just curious, why no posting on St. Cyril?

Latif Haki Gaba, SSP said...

just because I prefer to keep his feast on the traditional 9th of February

Father Robert Lyons said...

Latif,

I assume the reason for the change is the fact that the Easterners and Copts keep his feast on the June date.

It's like changing dates for St. Thomas. December 21 is traditional, but has nothing to do with any significant event. The date observed for some time by the Christians of India is October 6, and the date of the translation of his relics is July 3.

The one I find oddest is the old day for the Visitation of Mary. John's nativity is celebrated on 24 June. The visitation, which happened before, is celebrated after on the old calendar...

Strange...

Calendar gymnastics can be fun!

Rob+

Latif Haki Gaba, SSP said...

It is definitely a challenge to figure out the rationale for many of the traditional Western dates. I admit to being utterly puzzled by them at times.

Maria said...

I have spent a long time looking for the source of this quote as well, and cannot find it either. It's a nice quote and would love to use it in my paper on the Divine Liturgy.